Wednesday, January 31, 2007

FOOD

I normally avoid fast food, but yesterday when the alarm sounded, I woke up thinking about McDonald's breakfast. The craving was enough incentive to help me drag myself from my warm bed at 5 am. The line was so long at the drive-thru I decided to go inside for my biscuit and Coke. I was hoping to relive one of those childhood moments when the only thing better than the McDonald's food was the happy meal toy that came with it. No such luck. That biscuit was the single-most salty thing I've ever tasted. I can't call it food. It was so bad, I've decided never to eat at McDonald's again. I started heading in this direction after watching "Super-Size Me," but this biscuit was the nail in the coffin.

Speaking of food. Tonight is the final episode of Bravo's Top Chef. Am I the only one rooting for Marcel? Not sure how I got hooked on this show, but I'm surprised by how much I enjoy it.

6 comments:

julie said...

are you kidding??? breakfast is the only reason you'll find me hanging out at mcdonald's! though, i don't do the biscuit... i go for the sausage mcmuffin with egg & NO cheese.

mmmm... had one this morning and it warmed my belly. so sad you had such a bad experience. perhaps it was that you were eating it with a COKE???

Patrick said...

Yep, I never had a problem with McBreakfast before, but it was all the salt block...I mean biscuit, not the Coca Cola. I don't normally have Coke before noon, but right before I pulled in to McDonald's I was listening to a radio DJ talking about how Coke is America's new "morning coffee" and I thought I'd try out the new trend.

Anonymous said...

I see your super-size point.
Maybe-oh-maybe you had high expectations because you have been watching Top Chef? You were expecting some delectable satisfaction for your taste buds and instead received a huge awakening....Fast Food is overrated!
Something similar happened to me at starbucks. However, I kept coming back in hopes they would make my $4 drink right. Two months later there was a prompt in my heart; perhaps God is doing me a favor, because the real issue is a $4 drink is a sin.
Marcel is going ddddoooowwwnn! I'm shocked he's made it this far.
Coke will never, I repeat never replace my am coffee.

Patrick said...

The same DJ's were talking about how McDonald's regular coffee scored higher than Starubuck's reg. coffee in a Consumer Reports taste test (as did Dunkin' Doughnuts)...but who drinks regular coffee @ Starbucks?!

I'm not sure that an occassional $4 drink with a buddy would always be a sin (as I'm often prompted to spend cash when building relationships) but I agree that habitually spending that much on drinks - esp. when you are drinking them solo - is a BAD habit!

Poor Marcel was really suprised when he lost. I wasn't surprised, but I was sad for him. I think he got a bad rap!

Anonymous said...

We used to do McD's sometimes but since we watched 'Super Size Me', our kids don't want to go near the place!
Rather go to one of those german bakeries instead!

Dan

Patrick said...

I'm glad you finally watched it. To your health!