Friday, March 03, 2006

CRAFT MANIFESTO: A RESPONSE


morncol-10, originally uploaded by keri.

A day late and a dollar short, as my Dad always says...here's my response to the Craft Manifesto.

I am in particular agreement with point six. Here's an personal example: Every time I browse flickr I'm inspired to start new graphic design projects.

I've also noticed how so many crafters post their work on flickr, beautifully illustrating point 4.

I wish #7 weren't so painfully true. My current lack of tools makes me sad. Interested parties may donate to my personal Katrina relief fund via my Paypal account (just kidding). But I wish I had more tools of the trade, and I miss the ones I've lost. [There's a ND "skills" joke mentally forming here, that I don't feel like finishing. Any takers?]

I have an issue with point 10. Techniques bring people together - but they also create jargon - which separates people into two groups: those who speak it and those who don't.

So, anybody have any other thoughts to add?

3 comments:

julie said...

tell me what tools you're wishing for...

Patrick said...

In my rush to pack up everything and leave after Katrina, I left all my art supplies and books behind, and I can't go back and get them now; they are lost to me. I was really mad at myself for that mistake, but I've forgiven myself, finally. I'm wanting to start making Artist Trading Cards. Have you heard of them? Anyway, I'm going to have to invest a little in some paint, markers, paper and colored pencils to do that. At least I have my good paint brushes. They were in a flower pot in my classroom, so they made the trip north with me. I'm thinking to start really simply and try to start with what I have around the house or can scrounge - to force creativity. I'm also longing for a mac and some decent software. Though I did finally got a copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements. Are you into arts/crafts?

julie said...

yes. that's the short answer. and i'm a bit of a collector. i end up with supplies i use rarely and honestly would love to find someone to give some stuff to. you know, just simplifying. email me. jasteiskal at hotmail.com