Tuesday, December 06, 2005

L + O + V + E = COURAGE?

I feel like I'm standing at a doorway in my life and staring into the keyhole.

Here's where my mind was all last week: Are courage and love the same thing? Or are they so intertwined that they are inseparable? Can cowardice and love coexist...cohabitate in a soul? Are they mutually exclusive forces? And what about the mother who makes decisions to protect her children? Is she motivated by fear? Are her actions loving? I guess it takes courage to tell a child, "No." Does all love require courage? Is love the only weapon we can use to defeat anxiety and fear?

I wrote an earlier entry about three people I admire. While journaling about them, I realized their common trait: they weren't too afraid to love. Don't misunderstand. Their stories didn't involve romantic love between two people, but love as a general motivation for living. Love was the reason for everything that they did...or dreamed of accomplishing. Love made them dream big. But fear could have kept them from acting on those dreams: fear of rejection, of failure, of repeated mistakes, of loneliness, of discomfort... cripling, disabling fear. But in all three stories, love won out. Fear was repelled by love, cast out, displaced...love left no place for fear...because love had filled them up (perfect love casts out all fear), made a home for Himself in them. He had taken ownership and recharted their courses.

I want to be like that.

No comments: