Wednesday, November 30, 2005

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

Have you ever been curious about what your name means? There are lots of great baby name websites, but I recommend a book by Dorothy Astoria called The Name Book. Besides meanings and origins, it includes the spiritual significance of the over 10,000 names listed inside its covers. I don't own it, but a friend of mine used in back in jr. high to tell me what my name really meant.

Thinking about names, I decided to look up my family's monikers and I found an interesting theme: royalty. Our family name can have two meanings: abbreviated it means "Queen" or in its full form it means "Promise Keeper" (faithful in keeping promises). I like both of these meanings, since "Queen" reminds me that we are part of the Bride of Christ. I like "promise keeper" for obvious reasons.

Dad and my nearest brother share the same name. It means, "Highborn, resolute protector." It suits them both perfectly.

Mom's name means, "Gracious, God is my Oath." It suits her, too.

The twins' names mean, "Bold, God is my Judge" and "Truthful, Wears a Crown." Those are perfect for them.

My sister's name means "Princess, Crowned with Laurels."

My name is the longest. It means, "Like God, Nobleman, Gift of God." I almost got the name Bejamin. It means, "Son of My Right Hand" or "Son of Blessing." It would have been OK if they'd tacked that one on the end.

The part of my name I like best is my middle name, the name I go by: Patrick. Astoria's book goes beyond the Latin meaning, "Nobleman." She explained that the name implies obedience to the king. The obedience is not given out of duty or fear. It's the best kind of obedience, given because of love for the one in authority and family ties to him. I am obedient to the king because I'm his loving son. Cool, huh?

Whenever I'm having an identity crises, I just think about my name and remind myself that I am, "like God, a nobleman, an obedient loving son of the King, a gift of God, the son of His Right Hand, the child of His Blessing, faithful to keep His Word, the Royal Bride of Christ."

If you don't know the story and meaning behind your name, then what are you waiting for?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of names AND Narnia, did you know that the name "Aslan" is Turkish for "lion?" It's true!