Sunday, July 29, 2007

THE CUPBOARD IS BARE

I'm happy to be coming back to a top-notch, supportive school district and community. Despite that blessing, I'm a little bit freaked this week because my new classroom is a void: no books, no student computers, no art or school supplies. Yikes!

I don't even have a stapler or a pair of scissors; my desk is empty, without so much as a box of paper clips. I had to scrounge around and beg a filing cabinet from another teacher who had two. I know the principal, my department, and the parents will work together to help me gather resources this semester, BUT what am I supposed to do the first few weeks of school while those wheels are set into motion? I guess it's time to put on my creative thinking cap. They expect me to spin straw into gold. Anybody got any straw?

3 comments:

MQ said...

Funny, I had a conversation about the US education system with someone from NC this very evening. Frankly I think it's scandalous that this kind of thing can happen. Education is the most important thing a country needs to get right to look after its own people.

Hmm, well, that and the health system. Oh, and public services. ...and the economy... and jobs. And maybe foreign policy is important too.

I guess it's not so easy running a country. So I won't make any sweeping statements. I still think it's a scandal that your cupboard is bare, though, and that ultimately it is your responsibility to see it filled. You have other things to be concentrating on. Good luck to ya'.

Joel Settecase said...

That sounds pretty crazy, man. I think schools are the only businesses where the employee could possibly find himself in such a situation. What's the solution, privatize schools? Think about it: if the principal wasn't going to get paid if you couldn't do your job, I bet you would have your supplies within a week. Good to see you're still writing; I haven't read in a while but it's still good stuff.

Anonymous said...

I would think that even a Mississippi school could find the funds to put up some straw. And I know Pat, that you are talented and idea-rich enough to spin it into Gold!!

Come on Mississippi! Let's support our educational system!!!

Dan