Monday, February 27, 2006

PERSONALITY TEST


PERSONALITY TEST, originally uploaded by Patrick Q.

In the Minn/St Paul airport, I nestled on the floor by an electrical outlet with my laptop and a tea. I was pretty absorbed in my computations (LOL) for a few good minutes, but when I finally glanced up I was startled to see the picture above.

The two guys were so engrossed in their respective ways that I had enough time to pull out my Cybershot and snap this one. Doesn't it make such a great commentary about the world?

Both guys are fixated on a form of technology, one more than the other. Are you more like the guy on the left who is aware of his surroundings? Or, are you like Mr. Guy-on-the-Right, with his gaze so firmly locked onto his handheld gadget that he missed seeing something big even though it was right in front of him?

I watched him for a long time; he never saw the biplane. I want to learn from him; I nearly did the same thing.

6 comments:

Pauline said...

I LOVE this picture and this entry.

As for the photo - black and white fits it perfectly! It drowns out the "world's distractions" for the viewer and, even the two men's reactions are black and white...like negatives of each other. Brilliant.

As for your writing - I wouldn't have thought to name the entry, "Personality Test," nor take the entry in the direction you did - that's assuming I would have been alert enough to see the photo op and grab my camera to capture the moment in the first place - I wouldn't have. I LOVE the direction you took it. The question is awesome.
I was surprised by the ending - bringing it back to you. That was the point of greatest impact for me. It tied everything together so well.
This entry was full of surprises for me, somehow. Pleasent surprises. Thanks, Patrick.

Pauline said...

Personality test:

I'm not sure if I would be the one on the left or the right. I'd hope to be the one on the left. I'm afraid I'm often too self-centered to look up, though, especially when things get busy. I am working on that...
Hmm...makes me wonder. I hope I'm not missing anything great that's right over my head right now! Lord? Am I missing something?

Patrick said...

I didn't think of it that way, but it does polarize the situation a bit more by making it black and white. If only life really were that simple - I think most people are a combination of these two extremes (I'm sure the guys themselves are, too...I just caught them at an extreme moment). That's why I had to bring the conversation back around to myself as the one who snapped the picture; I'm just as guilty of missing the obvious as the guy on the right.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog, and this is a thought-provoking post for me! Basically, on the one hand the absorption expand one's knowledge but at the same time it is not necessarily the case that it significantly helps to expand one's world in a broader way. It is important to keep a good balance between both.

julie said...

leave it to good ol' minnesota to help us figure life out!

i am the man on the right. it helps that i don't have any gadgets to steal my attention, but even when i did, i loved the world around me more... i guess i'm blessed.

hope you had a good trip!

Patrick said...

York - Good point. I agree.

Julie - travel in general is good for the sould, but looks like MN works wonders, too.