Sunday, December 18, 2005

I'D LIKE TO TEACH THE WORLD TO SING...

Today's theme was music. Music was my companion at the Christmas Market, following me around to every booth and down each street. Spending the day surrounded by singing and playing Germans, the experience made me realize that the language barrier I've been facing while visiting here has some pretty big holes in it. After spending the morning at the Hamburg Christmas market, I sat on the train during the ride home, remembering the music I'd heard. I realized I'd never felt closer to the German people or more a part of what was happening here. Music helped me feel like less of an outsider. If I didn't know the songs, then at least I knew why they were singing them. The joy of Christmas is universal!

And tonight, when Dan brought me to the Adventskonzert (Christmas Concert) at St. Johannis Church in Buchholz, that feeling of connection, communion, communication...whatever... That feeling grew as the singers and musicians poured their hearts into the Christmas music. When they sang in Latin and German or played wordless melodies, they were communicating with a language much older than any other language on Earth, older than Earth itself: the language of Love.

Tonight, after we got home, Ellen sang a christmas song for me, and Daniel joined in. And I thanked God for the gift of Life, the gift of Music, the gift of Family, the gift of Love, the gift of Christmas, the gift that this day was! And now, I'm giving that gift to you. Enjoy!

No comments: