Monday, August 29, 2005

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

AAAHHH...I can't reach Terry and JoEllen. The last I heard they were trapped in Ocean Springs, unable to drive any further East. No news from Christen,either. Still can't believe she decided to stay at her house - a block from the beach!

I spoke to Algernon. He decided to stay at my apartment complex - who knows why. He said the power was off and would be for about 72 hours or more. According to Algernon, the complex suffered a lot of damage - downed trees, siding knocked off, and (aack) lots of water damage including collapsed ceilings - hopefully not in my building, but I won't know until I get back down there.

Last I heard from Mom and Dad, they were headed to a local church set up as a shelter. Even if they had a cell phone, we wouldn't be able reach them. Nobody from the southern half of the state can get a working signal, apparently.

How ironic is it that my brother Daniel picked today to fly in from Germany. He's switched his flight from New Orleans to B'ham, so I can pick him up tonight and bring him back to Mom and Dad's when this blows over. If my apt. is badly damaged, looks like I might be living with the folks for a while. That's a long commute to work in Gulfport with these high gas prices, though.

Man, I wish our phones would start working so I could know how everybody is. Please, God, let the phones start working soon.

No comments: